Sunday, September 9, 2012

Too Pretty Not To Share!


I got here this morning and saw this- beautiful no?
It is a Dragon Fruit flower.  They are stunning.  
I took this photo with my phone!  Pretty good shot for a camera phone I thought.  They open at night and start to close up as the day progresses.  By the time I got back there with my camera it had started to shut so I am posting this shot. 
The bees are all over it and very happy.  I have not posted in a while -my apologies-  moved into a new house then Michael had back surgery- but everything is starting to calm down a little so I am planning on GBBD and keeping up regularly after that. Hope everyone has had a great summer and loving this cooler weather we are having here in Austin!!!  

3 comments:

  1. Is this the plant that produces the edible fruit? I've never had dragon fruit, but it might be fun to grow. I guess it's probably not cold hardy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is edible and really tasty. No, they are not cold hardy- something you'd grow in a pot and move inside. They grow slender green octopus like arms- I say that as they are long- we stake them up but people arrange them several different ways- they are very unusual. My favorite thing about them is the flowers- they are huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. How lucky you were to catch it open!!

    ReplyDelete