Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mystery Solved

Well I hadn't seen the one of our fish in a few days and this morning walked up and saw this.....
Guess I know where he went.
I have mixed feelings here as I fill up the tank so there is water for the birds etc. to drink, but I am not offering up my fish as a snack.
I have asked Michael to make a screen to put over it at night- we will have to see how that works out.  I have a Dwarf Papyrus in there and a lily pad that blooms (hence is not flat) so I need to allow for that somehow, perhaps a net of sorts?
I had a similar problem in my fountain in Houston.  I had this beautiful Italian fountain I got at Thompson & Hanson and filled it with the prettiest little fantail guppies that were so fun to watch, then one day there were like three.  Michael devised a screen that was "raccoon proof" and solved the problem.  Luckily they reproduce rapidly.  Before long there were several swimming around again.  Those little fan tail ones are really pretty, though I preferred the blue ones. Now to wait and see what he comes up with for the tank.
Hopefully everyone stays down until we get it sorted out.  

4 comments:

  1. They aren't too smart about not leaving evidence behind, are they? Little blighters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry he found them. I'm having problems with with them also raiding my birdfeeders. So far they have not gotten in my tank but I'm sure the time will come, probably sooner than later.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer@threedogsinagarden
    Racoons are such pests! We have had one that has been breaking into our garbage bins. The clever little beggar was even able to open the locked lid on our compost bin.
    I hope your are able to figure a way to stop the racoon from getting at your fish. Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about encircling the tank with those plastic spiked things used to deter cats? Would the racoon be able to remove those with its paws? I've never met a racoon before so I'm not sure just how smart they are..

    ReplyDelete