Friday, January 6, 2012

It's A Tree Kind of Thing

cedar elm bark
Can you believe it?  2012 is here.  Where does time go?
I myself spent New Years sick as a result of the infamous Cedar Fever which has many suffering around town.  Upon returning to the nursery we had a bunch of new trees- it was so exciting!  I love to see and learn about new things.
Here is a photo the Cedar Elm.
I must admit I am fascinated but the bark.  It is so neat and has so much character.
 The branches are interesting as well.  I mean look!
cedar elm
I love the different textures on them and they are a really pretty tree.

poncirus trifoliata flying dragon
Another one I found intriguing today was the Poncirus trifoliata.  They are basically covered in curlycues.  I hadn't seen this before but there was one in Chicago outside of the Aquarium.  It gets covered with orange balls- can't wait to see that!  
poncirus trifoliata flying dragon
Here's a close up of one branch.  Love it!
lacey oak bark
Here's a close up of the Lacey Oak - another one with interesting bark. These trees are also quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  The textured bark is stunning I think. Again, just has a lot of character.
palo verde desert museum
The Palo Verdes never cease to amaze and draw a lot of attention.  The bark is green, hence the name- green sticks translated.   We have one planted in the corner and it has gotten so big this year!  It blooms beautiful yellow flowers which makes a beautiful contrast.
monterrey oak
And last but not least is the Monterrey Oak.  An old classic.  The bark is simple yet subtle.  Hope everyone had a great New Year and looking forward to 2012!

9 comments:

  1. Sorry you were sick. Hope you're all better now. Love seeing all the different bark. I need to learn more tree names - I'm really lacking in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always been a Monterrey Oak fan. Can't grow it here however. shucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bark. Sorry to hear you're miserable with cedar fever. Just another reason to hope for more rain! My favorite bark is the Lacebark Elm. I have a beautiful one and they are great to grow here - disease resistant, hardy, fast-growing. I've planted one at my last 3 houses! Kinda being my own Johnny Appleseed! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Branches and barks are so interesting with the various textures and looks....very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holley- Thanks! I am still learning myself, that's for sure. There are so many trees!
    Greggo- I like them as well. Good ol' standby.
    Diana- Yes, bleh. It was horrible. Still not 100% but way better. Happy New Year to you as well!!
    Sage- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the smooth, green bark of the Palo Verde. It reminds me of a green version of the smooth bark on the Texas Madrone. Another cool tree for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! Those are some unusual and beautiful trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! Sorry to hear about your Cedar Fever. Glad that you are better. Non-gardeners might think that it is a tiny bit crazy to get excited about something like tree bark, but they are the one's that are really missing out. Like you, I find the textures really intriguing. I have never seen the bark of a Cedar Elm. Love the green color of the Palo Verdes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ally- I love the Madrones as well- who knew I would get so into tree bark! haha

    Sarah- Happy New Year to you as well- the trees really are neat- lots of character I agree.

    Jennifer- Thanks- feeling better- AND I found this new stuff a lady makes in San Antonio called Cedar X that is amazing. Got it too late for the first round of misery but been using it this week. A customer told me about it and I almost knocked my computer off the desk racing to it to order it haha. I love the barks as well- I agree- I am sure there are several that think it is nuts to get so excited about the barks but I just love them- I stopped myself from putting too many on hahaha. I am sure I will post more in the posts to come.

    ReplyDelete